6/05/2008 11:35:00 AM Edit This 0 Comments »
Our camping trip was so much fun....despite the fact that Kaity was bored for most of it. Our campsite was nestled far in the woods, away from our car, other people and away from the world as we know it. We had to hike down a small hill to get to our beautiful spot. We had a little clearing amid the tall long pole pines that gave us the most wonderful location to just see the stars through the canopy. On the opposite side of our campsite was a little trail that led us down to our own private beach. Aside from the occasional boater we felt all alone. It was perfect.
We got there around noon and immediately set up camp. That wasn't very hard to do considering that we only packed a little. I LOVE primitive camping!!! We made our lunch which consisted of hot dogs on skewers, pork and beans (heated and then ate right out of the can), and chips. Afterwards we walked down to the beach where we played and laughed. The water was so warm unless you walked more than 15-20 out. There the undertow was pretty chilly. Afterwards we headed back to camp and cleaned up. We then walked up to the mulch bathrooms and threw away our trash. We left there and walked around and checked out the other side of the peninsula. I wanted to make sure that we were going to be the only people there for the night.........and we were!!!! We headed back and and we laid Kaity down for a nap. Brian and I then talked about everything and nothing. It was so relaxing being able to sit in such piece and quiet and too be able to spend quality time with my husband. After Kaity awoke, we walked back down to the water and walked around. She also got wet again!!! We found such interesting tree roots that were formed from the water hitting them over and over again. At that point the sky was clouding over so we headed back to camp. The ranger came and collected our monies for the site and for the firewood (or as they say in the south "farwood"). We got our fire going with the wood we had bought and added our own wood and pine cones that we had collected from walking around. At that point I had decided that it would be best to start dinner (although early) because the threat of rain was imminent. We made hamburgers w/ cheese, chili (again heated and then ate right out of the can) and corn-on-the-cob. So after preparing and cooking and almost near completion, the rain had started to fall. So we took our food into the tent and ate. As we were finishing, the light rain ceased and we ventured out of our tent and played until Kaity got tired and we laid her down for the night. Brian and I again got to sit and talk and spend more quality time together. It was wonderful. At one point I heard something in the woods and asked B to get the flashlight. As I turned it on and pointed it in the direction of where I heard the sound, he and I saw a raccoon less than 40 feet from us. How awesome was that! The raccoons eyes glowed red as I shined the light upon him. I told him that it looked like we would be having some company tonight. We decided after building the fire up to head to bed ourselves. The wind I thought was going to be the only thing that was going to keep us up since it had picked up in intensity as it was getting dark. After about 30 minutes the raccoon returned and was clawing at our tent and at the grocery bag full of garbage hanging from the lantern post. I couldn't remember how high they could jump to get at things so at 1 in the morning I had to go out and retrieve it to bring it in the tent. The only person who got decent sleep that night was Kaity!!! She slept the whole night w/o waking once. The next morning I woke first and it was still dark and because of the cloud cover everything looked blue. I got the fire going again and got my pot of water going for coffee. One hour after I woke Kaity got up and she then woke Brian. I finished gathering all of the things for breakfast (Egg Beaters and bacon). Brian made the bacon on the grate using a sheet of foil to cook on and I used the fry pan for the eggs. Kaity and I enjoyed breakfast. Brian wasn't the biggest fan of the eggs. I still love you honey! Afterwards we broke down camp and packed the car and we were on the road by 8:02 am. We stopped at a strawberry patch on our way back and all 3 of us picked strawberries. She enjoyed that more than the trip.
So what did I learn about this trip...
1. We still need more stuff to make it a little bit better.......i.e. Floor Mat, larger cooler, taller pole (thanks raccoons)
2. Need to bring Kaity her ball.
3. That Brian now likes camping and would do it again since I have showed him the right way and how it can be fun.
4. That we are going to do it again.......sometime soon....like say a month from now.
Our Camp Site
We got there around noon and immediately set up camp. That wasn't very hard to do considering that we only packed a little. I LOVE primitive camping!!! We made our lunch which consisted of hot dogs on skewers, pork and beans (heated and then ate right out of the can), and chips. Afterwards we walked down to the beach where we played and laughed. The water was so warm unless you walked more than 15-20 out. There the undertow was pretty chilly. Afterwards we headed back to camp and cleaned up. We then walked up to the mulch bathrooms and threw away our trash. We left there and walked around and checked out the other side of the peninsula. I wanted to make sure that we were going to be the only people there for the night.........and we were!!!! We headed back and and we laid Kaity down for a nap. Brian and I then talked about everything and nothing. It was so relaxing being able to sit in such piece and quiet and too be able to spend quality time with my husband. After Kaity awoke, we walked back down to the water and walked around. She also got wet again!!! We found such interesting tree roots that were formed from the water hitting them over and over again. At that point the sky was clouding over so we headed back to camp. The ranger came and collected our monies for the site and for the firewood (or as they say in the south "farwood"). We got our fire going with the wood we had bought and added our own wood and pine cones that we had collected from walking around. At that point I had decided that it would be best to start dinner (although early) because the threat of rain was imminent. We made hamburgers w/ cheese, chili (again heated and then ate right out of the can) and corn-on-the-cob. So after preparing and cooking and almost near completion, the rain had started to fall. So we took our food into the tent and ate. As we were finishing, the light rain ceased and we ventured out of our tent and played until Kaity got tired and we laid her down for the night. Brian and I again got to sit and talk and spend more quality time together. It was wonderful. At one point I heard something in the woods and asked B to get the flashlight. As I turned it on and pointed it in the direction of where I heard the sound, he and I saw a raccoon less than 40 feet from us. How awesome was that! The raccoons eyes glowed red as I shined the light upon him. I told him that it looked like we would be having some company tonight. We decided after building the fire up to head to bed ourselves. The wind I thought was going to be the only thing that was going to keep us up since it had picked up in intensity as it was getting dark. After about 30 minutes the raccoon returned and was clawing at our tent and at the grocery bag full of garbage hanging from the lantern post. I couldn't remember how high they could jump to get at things so at 1 in the morning I had to go out and retrieve it to bring it in the tent. The only person who got decent sleep that night was Kaity!!! She slept the whole night w/o waking once. The next morning I woke first and it was still dark and because of the cloud cover everything looked blue. I got the fire going again and got my pot of water going for coffee. One hour after I woke Kaity got up and she then woke Brian. I finished gathering all of the things for breakfast (Egg Beaters and bacon). Brian made the bacon on the grate using a sheet of foil to cook on and I used the fry pan for the eggs. Kaity and I enjoyed breakfast. Brian wasn't the biggest fan of the eggs. I still love you honey! Afterwards we broke down camp and packed the car and we were on the road by 8:02 am. We stopped at a strawberry patch on our way back and all 3 of us picked strawberries. She enjoyed that more than the trip.
So what did I learn about this trip...
1. We still need more stuff to make it a little bit better.......i.e. Floor Mat, larger cooler, taller pole (thanks raccoons)
2. Need to bring Kaity her ball.
3. That Brian now likes camping and would do it again since I have showed him the right way and how it can be fun.
4. That we are going to do it again.......sometime soon....like say a month from now.
Our Camp Site
Kaity and I making s'mores Our new friend
Eating Breakfast
Kaity after our trip going strawberry picking

0 comments:
Post a Comment